Looking for new ways to improve your local search engine optimization efforts? Have you considered improving your video SEO with YouTube? By creating a video, slideshow, or screencast, you can increase your links and ranking potential, while increasing traffic to your website.
By creating a YouTube channel, the videos you post will be tagged and indexed, increasing your presence in searches through keywords associated with your business. Optimize your channel with a description linking it to your social media profiles, and website. Increasing your SEO through YouTube will boost your search results quickly, bringing in more subscribers and viewers to your site, and can be done with little to no extra cost!
Why YouTube for SEO?
- It is the world’s second largest search engine.
- Over 2.9 billion hours are spent uploading YouTube per month!
- There are more than 400 tweets per minute containing a YouTube link that are social media related.
- It is sometimes easier to get a first-page ranking on YouTube when optimizing keywords.
YouTube SEO Process
When creating a video for YouTube you must choose your topic carefully! Viewers want engaging, informative, or entertaining content in videos they watch. You are the expert in your business; don’t be afraid to share your knowledge. Be direct, concise, and add some humour if possible.
Once you have picked your topic, spend time finding the right keywords for your YouTube video. Keyword optimization is vital in generating rankings. To find a list of keywords simply use the YouTube’s Search Suggest feature by typing in any word or phrase that applies to your topic and words relating to that topic will be listed there. These terms are what viewers actually type into YouTube when searching for content.
Use keywords when creating a file name for your video. It is recommended to use hyphens in between keywords to increase higher rankings. Include your keyword phrase in the title of your video. Best search results are from videos that use ‘How to…’ or ‘Tutorial for…’ in the title; these keywords give you a better chance of getting a front page ranking. Add the word ‘video’ in the title, as this will generate more traffic to your site as well.
To utilize your YouTube SEO you must include the keyword or keyword phrases at least 2-4 times in your video description. Don’t make your description too short, 250 words or more is best. At the beginning of your description link the video to related blog posts to increase traffic back to your site. Half the viewers will click on the link before finishing the video and will be lead to your website or blog.
Increase your YouTube SEO by creating targeted content, thumbnails, backlinks, statistics, and tags to your videos. The popularity of YouTube and the diverse content has opened an undervalued area of web platforms; its viewing strength is growing toward increasing SEO.
Facts about YouTube:
- It receives over 490 million users worldwide per month as of February 2011.
- Every minute, 100 hours or more of video is uploaded: (6 billion hours of video watched every month).
- It’s viewed in 56 countries.
- YouTube is communicated through 75 different languages.
- It covers 95% of the Internet population.
Using an Annotation Subscribe Button in every video helps to increase your channel’s subscribers. YouTube’s SEO algorithm includes the number of subscribers you gain from each posted video. Add the “subscribe” annotation at a point in the video (close to the middle) where the best content is for ten seconds. At the end of your video also add another “subscribe button to get more great videos like this one” to draw more traffic to other videos.
Additional Tips for Using YouTube for SEO:
- Geotag your videos with the geocoordinates of the location for your business. Audio and video files are geotagged through metadata via the encoded video file. YouTube Trends Map shows the most popular videos on a map which are based on local coordinates.
- Embed your videos on your website and blogs by inserting the link to YouTube. You will create New Pages by embedding videos which increases YouTube SEO. Embedding is referenced with HTML code which is a basic language used on the web.
- If you’re going to pay to have your video shown as an ad on YouTube (much like boosting a post on Facebook), ensure your video is less than 30 seconds. Videos 31 seconds and over have the “skip video” button available after 5 seconds of playing. This way your viewers are more likely to watch your entire video.
Did You Know?
Some people are reluctant to post videos on YouTube out of fear of the unknown. Did you know you can create a slideshow or screencast that keeps you anonymous?
If creating a YouTube channel is something you are considering, please contact Engagement Marketing for support. Setting up a YouTube channel is simple and can be easily accessed if you already have a Gmail account.